Wednesday 18 December 2013

Vintage Father Christmas...

This is one of those projects that are just great fun to make, especially at the end, working out all the different bits of ribbon and lace and wool to use!
It's a fabric based stamping project and so I've used the DecoArt So-Soft fabric paints to paint in my Santa and also to stamp with. The stamp is from Crafty Individuals CI-396, a lovely traditional image.
I used StazOn to stamp it onto a piece of calico:


and then painted it with  the So-Soft paints:


It ends up like this - you can still clearly see the stamping lines, which I like:


Then I put paint directly on the stamp to make a text background:


added some stars cut from CI-374 (I've used these in loads of projects!):


painted them yellow to make them stand out:


Then I took some slightly coarser weave material and stamped more stars in the paint:


and layered it all up:


Start arranging all the twiddly bits:


I then added machine stitching - nothing perfect or neat - it's just like drawing with thread:


and various embellishments:





Thanks for looking!

Helen

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Loves, love, love this! That's a beautiful red (I don't like orangey reds as so many of them are). Hope to see you at the last M and M of the year if you can make it. XX

carol edwards said...

Hello Helen loving this santa and he is a real red, Thanks for sharing

Sid said...

How gorgeous and textural Helen !

Connie said...

This is so charming . . . I have a big love of burlap. For so many years it has been so misunderstood :) Your blog is wonderful!
I am your newest follower.
Merry Christmas.
Connie :)